We are Travis and Jennifer Roland. We were married last July in Asheville and Las Vegas. We didn't think we could top 2010, it was a great year. But now, we expect 2011 to be even better. We are more than excited to announce that we are having our first baby due in July 2011. Our idea is that this blog will keep our loved ones up-to-date with our little "Junebug's" progress.
We've already noticed how life has started to change from our diets, to our sleep patterns, to the way we think about money and the way we look at each other. Everything is on track so far for our next and greatest adventure: Parenthood.

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Last Night at the Gym by Jennifer Roland


Hello 2nd Trimester!!! Its so good to meet you.  I've been exhausted and tired and lethargic and slightly grumpy at the energy levels, or lack thereof, of my first trimester.   I am finally back up and running.  First stop: the gym.  I haven't seen the inside in about 3 months.
Ipod - check, Pregnancy Podcast - check, New work-out pants - check.  I was ready.  I found a non-threatening treadmill, and stepped on.  I know the suggested ranges to keep my heart rate within to not upset Junebug, and I know that everyone's exercise regimen is different, preggers or not.  Even still, it was hard not to compare the level I was walking verses the girl next to me.  She got on the neighboring treadmill not long after I started my "brisk walk."  I couldn't help but notice she was going much slower and not nearly on as high of an incline as I.  I admit it, I patted myself on the back.   After all, I am 14 weeks pregnant.
Before long, she started speeding up to her own "brisk walk".  This I didn't mind.  After all, I am 14 weeks pregnant.  I was doing fine, I was at the gym, I was on a treadmill, I was almost sweating.  I am 14 weeks pregnant.  She isn't.
I got distracted by my Pregtastic Podcast, and once my 1/2 hour was up, I left.
I spotted a friend on my way out and stopped to say Hi.  Robin is also pregnant and a bit farther along than I am.  She'd been on a gym tour. She's thinking about joining the gym because her other pregnant friend, Anne, is a member and has raved about the water aerobics class.  In fact, Anne was just "over there" on the treadmill, Robin pointed out.  Anne was the girl on the neighboring treadmill.  Anne was my treadmill competition (in my head).  Anne was also, by this point, in a full-on RUN.   Robin and I walked over the the pregnant running queen and we were introduced.  I asked her how far along she was....and get this, she's 16 weeks!  2 more weeks than me & Junebug!  I told her how impressed I was that she was running at such a high speed, and made some jokes about how I couldn't run that fast for that long 4 months ago, or even when I was 10,  much less now.  She was gracious and sweet, and definitely inspiring.  She could carry on a conversation at full throttle. Suddenly my brisk walk wilted into a lazy afternoon stroll. I had lost the treadmill competition (in my head).  I wasn't even sure if my workout counted anymore.  I said my good-byes and headed home to Travis.
Next time I'm at the gym I'm kicking it up a notch not to mention keeping my eyes on my own treadmill.  And you can bet I'm not even looking at the girl on the mat next to me at tonight's yoga class.  I'm doing good to just touch my toes.  I'll lose the yoga mat competition every time. 
-jr

1 comment:

  1. I pulled a "you", with your gym neighbor eyeing last night! Since I was the only pregnant lady in the class I spent a couple minutes observing my surroundings. Luckily, there were senior citizens in the class so I wasn't doing so bad on technique! ha. I then closed my eyes and let the music & breathing work its magic! Namaste....

    ReplyDelete